Re: transposing instruments

From: David Rogers
Subject: Re: transposing instruments
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2010 06:31:36 -0700

* Wols Lists <address@hidden> [2010-07-17 10:41]:

As I said, horses for courses, but I play the trombone, so original
source may be Bf or C, and my output parts may be Bf or C. So I find it
simpler just to transpose everything to C when copying the music in,
then transpose it back to what I want when outputting it.

It depends which part of the process you would like to be error-prone, I
guess. I believe any mental transposition that may be required is
inherently the weak link in the process and should be eliminated.
Therefore I would suggest typing "as written" no matter what that may
be, and using the built-in transposing commands to accomplish any
changes that may be required. That way, it's less difficult to check the
typing for errors.

--
David