Re: fermata not shown at playing parts

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: fermata not shown at playing parts
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2010 17:49:01 +0100

David Kastrup wrote Saturday, July 17, 2010 9:13 AM

"Trevor Daniels" <address@hidden> writes:
OK, I've added a para to Articulations and ornaments in Expressive
marks:

"Articulations can be attached to rests as well as notes but they
cannot be attached to multi-measure rests.  A special predefined
command, @code{\fermataMarkup}, is available for attaching a fermata
to a multi-measure rest (and only a multi-measure rest).  This
creates a @code{MultiMeasureRestText} object."

together with an example to show how these are used.

Wouldn't it make more sense if articulations were siphoned off a
multimeasure and tacked back on by the multimeasure engraver?

Maybe.  How do you see this being implemented?

On the other hand, I have a hard time imagining what this should be
equivalent to when expanded.  Fermata on the last bar?  If so, I'd
likely place the fermata after the multimeasure rest symbol.

Or separate out the last bar of the multi-measure rest and
place the fermata on that.

A multi-measure rest is coded with an R, which is also used to
indicate a full-measure rest.  Fermate on full-measure rests
are common.

What other articulations are to be expected on multimeasure rests?

None, apart from the repeat sign scripts maybe.  Markup on
multi-measure rests is common, of course, but these are
not articulations in the LilyPond sense.

Trevor