Re: Lilypond for FL Studio ...

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: Lilypond for FL Studio ...
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2010 14:53:22 +0200

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 8:25 AM, Jean-Marie Cannie <address@hidden> wrote:
> We are the developers of FL Studio (formerly known as Fruityloops)
> and we are looking to print music sheets direct from our software.

Greetings,

whilst I'm certain we all appreciate this tribute to LilyPond's
quality and reliability, you have to know that GNU LilyPond is free
software (GPLv3 licensed), and as such it cannot be embedded in (nor
link to) non-free software.

This also raises the question of the interchange format between FL and
Lily: are you implying you would be ready to implement a native .ly or
MusicXML export within FL, or (more likely) use FL's midi output to
print sheet music? If so, there would definitely be quite some room
for improvement in Lily's MIDI input since a) the MIDI format is a
very limited one, and b) our own midi2ly filter is hardly as reliable
as, say, our musicxml2ly filter.

By the way: if you wish to pursue this discussion in French, you might
be interested in subscribing to our French-speaking mailing list: