Re: Emacs lily mode

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Re: Emacs lily mode
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 11:08:27 -0400

    Tim> Nicolas Sceaux wrote:
    >> Having a useful lilypond mode in Emacs would be really great.

    Tim> Using the existing lilypond-mode for all my .ly file editing already
    Tim> and it's pretty useful to me-

Me, too.

    Tim> but of course there is always room for improvement.  What are
    Tim> you thinking that you'd like to see?

The existing misfeature that bothers me the most is that if you have
emacs debugging set the way I normally do, some of the way I normally
type lillypond lands me in a debug window.

For instance, for my work, I usually have the default bar type set to
"empty", and then when I want the bar at the end of the piece, or
between sections in the middle, I'll
type something like:

        \bar "|."

but somewhere in that, I end up in the debug window and have to move
back to my lilypond typing window.

--
Laura   (mailto:address@hidden)
(617) 661-8097  233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139

It is important not to separate mathematics from life. You can explain
fractions even to heavy drinkers. If you ask them, ‘Which is larger,
2/3 or 3/5?’ it is likely they will not know. But if you ask, ‘Which
is better, two bottles of vodka for three people, or three bottles of
vodka for five people?’ they will answer you immediately. They will
say two for three, of course.

Israel Gelfand, in a 2003 interview with the New York Times