Re: Mute notation

From: Brett McCoy
Subject: Re: Mute notation
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 16:44:09 -0400

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 3:47 PM,  <address@hidden> wrote:

> I want to write a notation for Djembe. Normal notation in Lilypond is fine.
> But how can I write a "mute" tone. This is one hand on the Djembe, which
> mutes the sound and the other hand plays the normal tone, f.e. the bass.
> Mute is rarely used. I think about a special token which mark the tone
> should be played as mute.

I had to score some music recently that included a dumbek part. I gave
up trying to do anything fancy, since there's no standard dumbek
notation anyway, so I just used a standard percussion staff and
indicated the note names under the staff (using D T K for dum tek ka),
and placing bass drum and snare notes on the staff. Trying to get
fancier than that would have been overkill since I just wanted to
establish the basic rhythm over which a live player would be able to
improvise fills and such.

-- Brett
"In the rhythm of music a secret is hidden;
    If I were to divulge it, it would overturn the world."
               -- Jelaleddin Rumi