Re: random music

From: Mike Solomon
Subject: Re: random music
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 18:48:02 +0200

For what it's worth...

I do a lot of exactly this: aleatoric composition in Lilypond.  My "seven
pieces for seunge hye", which is somewhere on www.apollinemike.com/mike,
uses this in pieces 1, 4, and 6.  My most recent piece, "Norman (12 ans) à
la dernière répétition avant sa Bar Mitzvah", also does a fair bit of this:
it is not posted online, but I'd be happy to share the code with you if
you'd like.

I use Python for all of my aleatory and have Python spit out
lilypond-parseable code.  There is no good reason for this aside from the
fact that, for me, thinking creatively in Python is easier and faster than
thinking creatively in Scheme.

I have also learned that everything I want to do in Python is, with elbow
grease, possible somehow in Scheme (to date).  My rule of thumb is that I
only write in Scheme when it comes to lilypond development, and I only do
lilypond development when I want to help others or create a new feature, and
I only do the latter when there is truly truly no other way of making it
happen in lilypond without writing something new AND I have time AND I am
confident that I will use it in more than one piece AND I am confident that
others will use it as well.  Everything else is done in Python because
Python rocks.

~Mike