scheme variable for tempo

From: michael webster
Subject: scheme variable for tempo
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 10:38:33 -0700

I am writing some music with a great many metric modulations.

I plan to create a set of metric modulations which i could re-use:
\quarterEqualsDottedEighth and so forth to produce the desired notation.

Simple enough. But what I am after is a way to have these prefab modulations
affect the tempo. Ideally I could set some kind of variable for the tempo and
have the metric modulations alter it, so that they would perform as expected in
every situation. So for example \quarterEqualsDottedEighth would increase the
tempo by 4/3.

any thoughts? Thanks in advance ...