Re: /noBeam

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: /noBeam
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2010 09:10:28 +0100

James Bailey wrote Jul 31, 2010, at 4:53 AM,
Tim McNamara wrote:
In the following snippet, Lilypond puts beams over the last three 8th notes and it looks clunky:

\times 2/3 { d4 e4 d4 } b4 g'8 f8
e8 d8 c'8\staccato r8 r2

I want the c'8 to not be beamed with the other two
8th notes in the last measure.  When I use \noBeam

\times 2/3 { d4 e4 d4 } b4 g'8 f8
e8 d8 c'8\noBeam\staccato r8 r2

Lilypond renders all three 8th notes without a beam instead of just the last one. Is there a reason for this?

\noBeam causes the current beam to be removed entirely
and a new beam started at the next note.  If \noBeam is
placed on the last or next to last note in the beam group
then there is no place to start a new beam, of course.

The docs look to be misleading on this, but as the whole
beaming algorithm and documentation has been changed for
2.13.29 lets look at it again when that's out.

As far as I understand, from lilypond's point of view, those three notes should be beamed together. If you say you don't want a beam there, lilypond doesn't put one. If you want just the first two beamed together, use e8[ d].

This is the easiest solution.

Trevor