Fwd: please help a newbie with partial measures

From: Rose Mawhorter
Subject: Fwd: please help a newbie with partial measures
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 09:09:10 -0700

Xavier,
Here's what I wrote to Phil. Is it really so simple as to add \bar "|" to the end of every line? I'm sorry if I bothered you all for that!
Thank you for your patience.
Rose

A scan would be difficult at the moment. I've included below a compilable song. Let me try to explain better. If you look at my syntax you can see where I would like the bar lines to fall. What I'm struggling with is that the compiler doesn't seem to want to place my bar lines where I specified. If I remove the \partial 2 line from the global settings it will at least place bar lines through out the song (which won't do with the \partial 2) but not where I want them to be.

Here's a link to a song that follows the same type of pattern: http://www.hymnary.org/hymn/THEH/510 . If I were inputting this song I would be stumped over how to add the bar line at the end of the first three lines.

Thank you for your help,
Rose

 % Version 1.0
% Last edit: July 25, 2010
% The music and words produced by this source code are believed
% to be in the public domain in the United States and Canada. The source
% code itself is covered by the Creative Commons Attribution-
% NonCommercial license,
% http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.5/
% Attribution: Rose Mawhorter

\version "2.8.0"
\include "english.ly"

#(set-default-paper-size "letter")
#(set-global-staff-size 16)

title = "People of the Living God"
subtitle = "Thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God--Ruth 1:16-17Click to view Ruth 1:16-17 (ESV)"
composer = \markup \italic ""
poet = "James Montgomery, 1829"
meter = "7.7.7.7. D"
arranger = "From Harmonia Sacra"
piece = "Ennius"

world = {
  \key g \major
  \time 3/2
  \aikenHeads
  \autoBeamOff
  \partial 2
}

melody = \relative c'' {
  \world
b4. a8 |
g2. g4 fs g |
a1 |
d4. c8 |
b2. a4 g fs |
g1 |
b4. a8 |

g2. g4 fs g |
a1 |
d4. c8 |
b2. a4  g fs |
g1 |
b4. b8 |
a2. b4 c d |
c2 [ b] |
b4. b8 |
a2. b4 c b |
b2 [ a] |
b4. a8 |
g2. g4 fs g |
a1 |
d4. c8 |
b2. a4 g fs |
g1  \bar "|."
}

alto = \relative c' {
d4. d8 |
d2. d4 d d |
\cadenzaOn
fs1 |
fs4. fs8 |
g2. fs4 g d |
d1 |
d4. d8 |
d2. d4 d d |
fs1 |
fs4. fs8 |
g2. fs4 g d |
d1 |
g4. g8 |
fs2. g4 a b |
a2 [ g] |
g4. g8 |
fs2. g4 a g |
g2 [ fs]
d4. d8 |
d2. d4 d d |
fs1 |
fs4. fs8 |
g2. fs4 g d |
d1
\bar "|."
}

tenor = \relative c' {
  \world
g4. a8 |
b2. b4 a a |
a1 |
a4. d8 |
d2. c4 b a |
b1 |
g4. a8 |
b2. b4 a a |
a1 |
a4. d8 |
d2. c4 b a |
b1 |
g4. g8 |
d'2. d4 d d |
d1 |
d4. d8 |
d2. d4 d d |
d1 |
g,4. a8 |
b2. b4 a a |
a1 |
a4. d8 |
d2. c4 b a |
b1  \bar "|."
}

bass = \relative c' {
  \world
g4. fs8|
g2. g4 d d |
d1 |
d4. d8 |
g2. c,4 d d |
g,1|
g'4. fs8|
g2. g4 d d |
d1 |
d4. d8 |
g2. c,4 d d |
g,1|
g'4. g8 |
d2. d4 d d |
g1 |
g4. g8 |
d2. d4 d d |
d1 |
g4. fs8|
g2. g4 d d |
d1 |
d4. d8 |
g2. c,4 d d |
g,1|
  \bar "|."
}

verseOne = \lyricmode {
  \set stanza = "1. "
Peo -- ple of the liv -- ing God,
I have sought the world a -- round,
Paths of sin and sor -- row trod,
Peace and com -- fort no -- where found.
Now to you my spir -- it turns,
Turns, a fu -- gi -- tive un -- bless'd;
Breth -- ren, where your al -- tar burns,
O re -- ceive me in -- to rest!
}

verseTwo = \lyricmode {
  \set stanza = "2. "
Lone -- ly I no long -- er roam,
Like the cloud, the wind, the wave;
Where you dwell shall be my home,
Where you die shall be my grave;
Mine the God whom you a -- dore,
Your Re -- dee -- mer shall be mine;
Earth can fill my heart no more,
Ev -- ery i -- dol I re -- sign.
}

verseThree = \lyricmode {
  \set stanza = "3. "
Tell me not of gain or loss,
Ease, en -- joy -- ment, pomp, and pow'r,
Wel -- come pov -- er -- ty and cross,
Shame, re -- proach, af -- flic -- tion's hour:
“Fol -- low me!” I know the voice;
Je -- sus, Lord, Thy steps I see;
Now I take Thy yoke by choice,
Light Thy bur -- den now to me.
}

\markup {
  \column {
    \fill-line { \large \bold \title } % title
    \fill-line { \tiny \subtitle   }  % subtitle
    \fill-line { \caps \piece       }        % piece
    \fill-line { \meter        }  % meter
    \fill-line { \poet           % poet
         \caps \composer      % composer

\score {
  \context ChoirStaff <<
    \context Staff = upper <<
      \context Voice =
         sopranos { \voiceOne << \melody >> }
      \context Voice =
         altos { \voiceTwo << \alto >> }
      \context Lyrics = one \lyricsto sopranos \verseOne
      \context Lyrics = two \lyricsto sopranos \verseTwo
      \context Lyrics = three \lyricsto sopranos \verseThree

    \context Staff = lower <<
      \clef bass
      \context Voice =
        tenors { \voiceOne << \tenor >> }
      \context Voice =
        basses { \voiceTwo << \bass >> }

  \layout {
    \context {
      \Score
      % **** Turns off bar numbering
      \remove "Bar_number_engraver"

    }
    \context {
      \Lyrics
      % **** Prevents lyrics from running too close together
      \override LyricSpace #'minimum-distance = #0.6
      % **** Makes the text of lyrics a little smaller
      \override LyricText #'font-size = #-1
      % **** Moves lines of lyrics closer together
      \override VerticalAxisGroup #'minimum-Y-extent = #'(-1 . 1)

\header {
tagline = ""
}

\paper {