global-set-staff-size not equivalent to layout-set-staff-size?

From: Patrick Karl
Subject: global-set-staff-size not equivalent to layout-set-staff-size?
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 11:33:33 -0500

The following snippet is engraved differently depending on whether the

        #(set-global-staff-size 9)
           or
        #(layout-set-staff-size 9)

is in effect.  The difference is that the "set-global-staff-size" command
causes the piece to be engraved on a single page, while the "layout-set-staff
size" command causes the piece to be engraved on two pages.  The reason appears
to be that the layout-set-staff-size command doesn't appear to actually change
the staff sizes.

It was my understanding from reading the Notation Manual that the only
difference between these two commands was scope, the "global" version affecting
the entire document while the "layout" version only affects the score it is
contained in.

(This problem arose when I wanted to combine several "pieces" into a single
file but retain the earlier pagination, which depended upon different values of
the "set-global-staff-size" parameter value.  I have not yet been able to
discover how to do the combination and retain the original pagination due to
this difference in behavior.)

Can anyone clarify?  Thanks.

\version "2.12.3"
%#(set-global-staff-size 9)