Re: Problem: multi-bar rests in SATB score

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Problem: multi-bar rests in SATB score
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 00:17:32 +0100

mark damerell wrote Monday, August 16, 2010 6:25 PM

Lilypond version 2.10.33: to see my problem, take the SATB template
from Appendix D4.1 and insert

       \set Score.skipBars = ##t

at the start of the \global  section and insert

R1*7

in front of each voice's notes.

Instead of a 7 bar rest, I get a 1 bar rest followed
by  a 6 bar rest,

This looks like a fault in the template.  The declaration
of the four lyrics contexts looks like:

   \new Lyrics = sopranos { s1 }

It should be

   \new Lyrics = "sopranos"

The quote signs are not really significant; it is the s1
that messes up the full-measure rests.  Remove these from
all four lyric context declarations.  I'll fix the template
in the 2.13 docs.

and these
rests are printed twice in each staff, once for Sopranos
and once for Altos.

The easiest fix is to use s1*7 in the second voice, although
a better fix would be to put the full-measure rests in a
single voice.  This means you have to move the \voiceOne
and \voiceTwo commands into the music definitions, after the
R1*7 and s1*7.

HTH

Trevor