Re: Different Raster Size for every page

From: James
Subject: Re: Different Raster Size for every page
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 17:10:40 +0100

Hello,

On 20/08/2010 16:49, David Rogers wrote:

My impression is that "raster" is not really what was meant, but the
ability to create (in Lilypond as opposed to modifying output after
the fact) a score where page 1 and page 2 and page 3 are different
sizes.

That's as maybe, but ultimately the publisher has to send the output to pre-press (repro) who then sends it to the printer and pre-press has to layout the 'artwork' for correct printing and that includes pagination, crop marks, bleeds etc and that is way beyond the scope of LilyPond.

So were I to give my scores to a publisher they would get PDFs and the pre-press people could then layout the final document as THEY wanted it, which would - for those that known the terms - mean' work and turn' or 'work and tumble', depending on what the output was and that would require LilyPond to print first/last facing pages, pages upside etc.

PDFs are perfectly acceptable for publishers and can be manipulated for pagination (and scaling) with very little effort.

James