Re: \cueDuring problem

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: \cueDuring problem
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 17:18:26 +0200

Am Donnerstag, 26. August 2010, 15:56:09 schrieb akj850:
> I am new to lilypond, but I experienced with text-based typesetting with
> latex.  I am trying to use the \cueDuring feature of lilypond but am having
> some weird behavior where the cued notes don't show up, just the rest.
>
> This example slightly modified taken from the docs:
>
> oboe = \relative c'' {
>   b2 (d)
> }
> \addQuote "oboe" { \oboe }
>
> clarinetNotes = \new Voice \relative c'' {
> \key d \major
> \time 2/2
> \tempo "Allegro molto"
> a4 b c d
>   \cueDuring #"oboe" #UP { R1 }

Here you use cueDuring in the second measure, so you try to quote the second
measure from the oboe voice, which has only one measure...

> Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?

Neither. I think you misunderstood cueDuring... It is not meant to insert the
exact specified music. Instead, you give it a full voice, and it will
automatically extract the notes from the proper bar numbers.
If you write a full Oboe part, and then the clarinet part, this feature allows
you to quote from the full oboe part, so you don't have to worry about which
notes you want to quote. LilyPond will automatically choose the right notes to
insert, so you don't have to write the quoted notes yourself.

> Also, I am interested in
> keeping the articulations with the cues, but from what I've read, this is
> pretty involved.

Actually, no. I solved that in 2.13:
http://kainhofer.com/~lilypond/Documentation/notation/writing-
parts.html#formatting-cue-notes

Please note that this is the documentation for the development version, so
that link might break any time in the future. However, this functionality is
not yet documented in the docs on lilypond.org...

Cheers,
Reinhold

 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886