Re: vertical spacing not under my control

From: James Wilkinson
Subject: Re: vertical spacing not under my control
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 22:27:21 -0400

I added a \paper block and put in it

between-system-spacing = #'((space . 20) (stretchability . 30))

which I found in the "Vertical Dimensions" section, which I got to from a link in the "Vertical spacing between systems" sections that one of you pointed me to. For a while it kept saying

"warning: couldn't fit music on page"

although it did in fact fit the music on the page. The last staff was right down at the bottom of the page just above the "Music engraving by LilyPond 2.13.29.......". I fooled around with it for a while and finally got something that I liked with space = 20 and stretchability = 30. I'm writing this because that whole process was a matter of trial and error. The problem is that I have just a vague idea of what those numbers mean. That leaves me with some questions:

"space is the size of the stretchable space ...." means a lot more to you guys than it does to a newbie like me. I guess that it's an upper limit on the amount of space that stretching can give you????

"stretchability controls the stretchable space's propensity to stretch ....." is this a maximum percentage of the stretchable space that will actually be used?

Maybe some more snippets would help. I didn't find anything in the archive that exactly addressed this.

thanks again

Jimmy Wilkinson            | Professor Emeritus of Computer Science
address@hidden        | The College of Charleston
(843) 953-8160             | Charleston      SC        29424
http://www.cs.cofc.edu/~jimmy

If there is one word to describe me, that word would have to be "profectionist".
Any form of incompitence is an athema to me.
Metathesis??? Don't ax me.
Just between you and I, the grammar used by Americans are getting worse.
I can only help but wonder what the cause of this might be.
It just ceases to amaze me how it could be the case, but mostly I could care less.