letter vs. a4 (and leger lines)

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: letter vs. a4 (and leger lines)
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 22:51:21 -0400

I found to my dismay that the old dvips a4 vs. letter paper
ballship is still with us. I lost footers with 2.13.22 when
printing on letter paper. The solution is to explicitly set the
bottom margin. Setting the top margin is a good idea too. As long
as the RL margins are adequate, a4 users will have no problems
printing your stuff.

IMO more generous default margins would be a good idea. One
who wants to live more dangerously can always change them.
Say 1.27\cm?

Did a little research. I hate research. Ledger lines are lines
in a ledger, which originally meant a book which was supposed to
remain at a certain location and not be moved about.

Leger lines are light lines, not heavy lines. LilyPond makes
leger lines heavier than staff lines to compensate for their
being shorter. That increases general legibility at the cost
of making them harder to distinguish from staff lines in some
situations. You can't have everything, and the most important
thing is to have them a different thickness whether heavier or
lighter. IMO they are optimum.

Ledger and leger are different words, with different meanings and
different derivations from different languages. The confusion of
leger with ledger is not merely a spelling error. Regards, daveA

--
For beginners: very easy guitar music, solos, duets, exercises.
Early intermediate guitar solos. One best scale set for all guitarists.