Re: warning: couldn't fit music on page: overflow is 8.224344

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: warning: couldn't fit music on page: overflow is 8.224344
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 12:29:55 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Nick Payne" <address@hidden>
To: "lilypond-user" <address@hidden>
Sent: Thursday, September 02, 2010 12:09 PM

I'm suddenly seeing this warning in the log output as I'm going through adding fingering and barring to a score of two pages, and the bottom stave on page one goes beyond the bottom margin with some of the notes disappearing off the bottom of the page. Page two is fine. If I add

between-system-spacing = #'((space . 2) (padding . 2) (stretchability . 2) (minimum-distance . 0))

to the paper block, then the staves on page one no longer flow off the page (though the error still appears in the log but with a different numerical value of 0.384688), but page two is now not obeying the ragged-bottom = ##f and ragged-last-bottom = ##f in the paper block, as there is now about a 6cm gap between the final stave on page two and the tagline, and all the staves on page two are crammed too close vertically. Using v.2.13.31.

Nick

The page spacing algorithms are being changed in 2.13 and so it won't always be guaranteed that you'll get exactly what you want in this development version. I believe that the overflow information is likely to be debugging info to help the coders.

If you think it's a clear bug, please could you post a tiny example to help debugging.

http://lilypond.org/website/tiny-examples.html

--
Phil Holmes