Re: How do I enter the chord "B(add4)/G#" ?

From: Kaz Kylheku
Subject: Re: How do I enter the chord "B(add4)/G#" ?
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2010 22:03:34 -0700

On Thu, 2 Sep 2010 13:59:23 +1000, John Zaitseff
<address@hidden> wrote:
> A very quick and simple question that has me stumped: How do I enter the
> chord "B(add4)/G#" in LilyPond's chord mode?  I am trying to transcribe
> that very chord in a song we have...
>
> I am quite adept at using LilyPond, but my knowledge of music theory is
> virtually nil.  I would have thought "b:5.4/gis" would do the trick, but
> that gives "B(sus4/add3)/G#" as output---and I don't know if that is the
> same as "B(add4)/G#"!

They are enharmonic. B(add4) means to add the fourth degree to
the B major triad without dropping the third (which would make
it a sus4).

I just tried b:3.4.5 and got the same result. LilyPond wants to call
this
kind of chord sus4/add3, rather than add4.  I.e. it's viewed as
a derivative of the sus4 formed by reintroducing the third.

This naming looks like a good idea, since this 1345 chord is going to
function more like a suspended fourth than a major chord.