Re: Add prefix to lyrics

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Add prefix to lyrics
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2010 18:03:16 +0200

Alexander Kobel <address@hidden> writes:

> On 2010-09-02 16:46, David Kastrup wrote:

>>> LyricHyphen may vary in length, i like this a lot. It's a nice thing.
>>>
>>> Dash glyph will be the same length all the way.
>
> You have a point here.  I personally don't like this feature too much:
> if syllables are too close, I'd rather not have a hyphen there at
> all. But I acknowledge your reasoning.
> Perhaps we could offer two choices: the "font dash" as well as the
> current one.  Unfurtunately I don't see an easy way to offer a
> \hyphen-like markup command, which looks up the corresponding
> thickness, raising etc. values to simulate the current hyphen; on the
> other hand, what we have now needs manual tweaking for fonts with
> unusual x-heights or so.
>
>> You could easily overlap multiple dash glyphs in order to arrive at
>> arbitrary lengths.
>
> This won't work for fonts with uncommonly designed dashes, say one
> slightly slanted to the top, like a / with less height.

So what?

> Perhaps scale horizontally?

Ruins the design of the end points.  And actually would be rather bad
for the kind of "slightly slanted" because the slant would become
unrecognizable as a feature of the dash and instead look like an
accidental misalignment with other horizontal lines.

You might actually be better off with overlaps (implemented as dashing
with slightly negative distance).  Or with not using such a font at
all.  Which is not likely anyway.

--
David Kastrup