Re: vertical spacing not under my control

From: Joe Neeman
Subject: Re: vertical spacing not under my control
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 14:33:22 -0700

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 7:27 PM, James Wilkinson <address@hidden> wrote:
I added a \paper block and put in it

between-system-spacing = #'((space . 20) (stretchability . 30))

which I found in the "Vertical Dimensions" section, which I got to from a link in the "Vertical spacing between systems" sections that one of you pointed me to. For a while it kept saying

"warning: couldn't fit music on page"

although it did in fact fit the music on the page.

The latest version will tell you the amount by which the page overflowed. That way, you'll know not to worry if it is a very small number.

The last staff was right down at the bottom of the page just above the "Music engraving by LilyPond 2.13.29.......". I fooled around with it for a while and finally got something that I liked with space = 20 and stretchability = 30. I'm writing this because that whole process was a matter of trial and error. The problem is that I have just a vague idea of what those numbers mean.

Think of the stretchable space as an ideal spring which connects the center lines of two staves. The "space" variable tells you the (uncompressed/unstretched) length of the spring and the "stretchability" variable is the inverse of the spring constant.

Cheers,
Joe