Re: Overlap Beams in Time?

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Overlap Beams in Time?
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2010 14:36:35 -0600

On 9/4/10 12:53 PM, "PMA" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Dear List:
>
> First, thank you for Lilypond -- this wonderful tool -- and for
> accepting my subscription.
>
> I am placing noteheads, and using beams, in a way that has little to do
> with common usage.
> Lilypond has to a considerable extent "played along", as you'll see in
> the attached example.
>
> But you see also what I *can't* make Lilypond do: overlap beams symbols
> in *time*.  I want
> a separate beam above the staff, connecting those A's.

Here is some code that get the beams you want, but I'm not sure if it's what
you hade in mind.

\version "2.13.30"

\new Staff {
  \clef bass
  <<
  \new Voice {
    \voiceOne
    \once \override NoteHead #'duration-log = #1
    a,8 [
    s8 * 3
    \once \override NoteHead #'duration-log = #1
    a,8 ]
  }
  \new Voice {
    \voiceTwo
    s8
    \once \override NoteHead #'duration-log = #1
    e8 [
    s8*3
    \once \override NoteHead #'duration-log = #1
    e8 ]

> P.S.  My last resort would be to add the second beam later -- by force
> -- within a PDF editor.

If you really want to add the second beam later, you probably should do it
in SVG form with an SVG editor like Inkscape.  It has all the Undo you need,
and you can actually edit the source file if you want to get more precise
than you can with the mouse.

HTH,

Carl