Re: music notation for soprano ukulele

From: Xavier Scheuer
Subject: Re: music notation for soprano ukulele
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2010 10:42:38 +0200

On 7 September 2010 09:55, Steve Yegge <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello Lilypond gurus,
> I've been getting a bunch of requests for a tab or chord-diagram
> transcription of a ukulele piece I posted on YouTube.  Is there any
> hope?  The tuning is awful -- er, I mean, traditional, with the strings
> not increasing in pitch monotonically.  IIRC it's GCEA, with the "low"
> G being raised an octave.
> Is there a set of hacks or best-practices lying around that I can use
> to whip something together for now?  My understanding from the
> docs is that chord diagrams just won't work.  I haven't played with a
> Tab Staff yet, but if there is no technical reason that it wouldn't work,
> then I can certainly figure it out and tackle it that way.

Hi!

I'm not used to TabStaff and other chord notations, but there is an
example in the doc using the fret-diagram markup string for ukulele.

<<
  \context ChordNames {
     \chordmode {
       a1
  \context Staff {
        %% A chord for ukelele
    a'1 ^\markup \fret-diagram #"w:4;4-2-2;3-1-1;2-o;1-o;"
  }

NR 2.4.1 Common notation for fretted strings > Fret diagram markups
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.12/Documentation/user/lilypond/Common-notation-for-fretted-strings.html#Fret-diagram-markups

There are also a few discussion about notation for ukulele on
lilypond-user mailing list:

Ukulele Barre Chord Fret Diagrams
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2010-04/msg00448.html
ukelele (C tuning) fretboards