Re: music notation for soprano ukulele

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: music notation for soprano ukulele
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2010 09:28:20 -0600

On 9/7/10 1:55 AM, "Steve Yegge" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello Lilypond gurus,
>
> I've been getting a bunch of requests for a tab or chord-diagram
> transcription of a ukulele piece I posted on YouTube.  Is there any
> hope?  The tuning is awful -- er, I mean, traditional, with the strings
> not increasing in pitch monotonically.  IIRC it's GCEA, with the "low"
> G being raised an octave.
>
> Is there a set of hacks or best-practices lying around that I can use
> to whip something together for now?  My understanding from the
> docs is that chord diagrams just won't work.  I haven't played with a
> Tab Staff yet, but if there is no technical reason that it wouldn't work,
> then I can certainly figure it out and tackle it that way.
>
> Thanks for any advice here.

Both tab and fret-diagram calculation for ukulele could work, but you'd need
to specify a string for every pitch.  The automatic tab calculator won't
support non-monotonic strings.  That's an open feature request:

However, fret diagrams for ukulele are certainly part of 2.13 (and could be
added to 2.12 just by copying the relevant lilypond input file:
ly/predefined-ukulele-fretboards.ly

For more information, please see

<http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/notation/common-notation-for-fr
etted-strings#predefined-fret-diagrams>