Re: \partial with full measure rests

From: Wols Lists
Subject: Re: \partial with full measure rests
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2010 20:11:38 +0100

 On 07/09/10 19:58, Jayaratna wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I have been checking old posts for this same problems, but my case is
> slightly different, and I would like to ask your opinion/advice on this.
>
> I have a score ending with a partial measure, and some parts do not play on
> that measure.
>
> For instance part a ends like this:
>
> \time 2/2
>      g2 fis4. g8 \bar "||"
> \time 3/4 \partial 2
>      g2^"Tous" \bar "||"
>
> part b ends like this:
>
> \time 2/2
>       R1 \bar "||"
> \time 3/4 \partial 2
>       R2 \bar "||"
>
> Lilypond gives a warning, and when I process part b the rest in the last
> measure is not shown. If I use a normal r2 rest, the result is that I cannot
> hide part b in the full score, even if I want it to be hidden (because of
> its rests).
>
> I hope this is not too confusing, I hope to get this last measure working.
The problem is, I think, dead simple. You've misunderstood "\partial",
and you shouldn't be using it.

What partial does is "rewind" the clock back, which isn't at all what
you think it's doing. What you're trying to tell lilypond is that your
last bar consists of beats 1 & 2. What you've actually told lilypond is
that your last "note", R2, is on the last beat (2/2) of the previous bar.

Cheers,
Wol