Re: List-email Suggestion

From: Wols Lists
Subject: Re: List-email Suggestion
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2010 20:39:04 +0100

 On 07/09/10 03:10, David Rogers wrote:
> I really only see two requests for change, which pop up again and again;
> those are of course the two recently discussed - making the list the
> default reply-to address, and prefixing the subject line.
And has been pointed out to you already, prefixing the subject line is a
pain in the neck! If done WELL, it's okay (several lists I'm on do it).
If done BADLY, however, a dodgy email client (like LookOut) turns it
into a right pain in the neck.

As for making the list the default reply-to, I'm on lists that do that.
And on MANY an occasion, I've decided that I can't be bothered to fight
my email client to try and send a private reply. So because the list has
been wrongly configured, the poor guy with a problem has lost out
because I don't want to reply to the list, and can't reply to him.

Oh - as for the "de facto standards working better than the published
standards", your "de facto" standards are MS standards which work well
with MS software. You're on a GNU list, with a majority of GNU people,
using GNU software, that works very well thank you with the published
standards. No surprise there, because it was designed and written to do so.

Cheers,
Wol