Re: Confusion about beaming

From: PMA
Subject: Re: Confusion about beaming
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2010 18:19:55 -0400

... so works more as a function than as a literal output graphic.

PMA wrote:
as i see it, the bracket -- whether '[' or ']' - modifies the note on it's left.

Marc Schonbrun wrote:
Hello,

I was wondering about why the decision was made in the input syntax parser to view beaming groups as follows:

}

\relative {
  c8 d [e f g a b c]
}

The above snippet beams from the d through to the final c. At first glance, it would appear that the brackets are encasing the e through c, and those notes would end up beamed together, but, alas, this is not the case. This is one of those things that I can happily learn, but it takes a pause to get it right. Can someone comment on the history of this? I am simply curious.

Thanks,
Marc