Re: Instrument names run off left margin

From: David Rogers
Subject: Re: Instrument names run off left margin
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 14:44:07 -0700

* Phil Holmes <address@hidden> [2010-09-09 10:32]:

----- Original Message ----- From: "Nathan" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Thursday, September 09, 2010 4:11 AM
Subject: Instrument names run off left margin

Without overriding anything, the output of the code below has the instrument names running off of the left margin. Is this a bug? a problem with my computer? because am I supposed to use a particular setting? the expected behavior?

\version "2.12.3"
\paper{ ragged-right=##t }
\new StaffGroup <<
\new Staff{
\set Staff.instrumentName = #"Violin 1" \set Staff.shortInstrumentName = #"Vln. 1"
   R1*30
}
\new Staff{
\set Staff.instrumentName = #"Violin 2" \set Staff.shortInstrumentName = #"Vln. 2"
   R1*30
}

I'd say it's following the defaults for indent.  Change your paper block to:

\paper{
ragged-right=##t
indent = 25\mm
short-indent = 15\mm
}

and you have space for the names.

Note: I think the reason the names are not automatically made to fit is
that the left bar line of each system (except for indents) should be a
fixed distance from the edge of the page, and not flexible; and Lilypond
isn't set up to calculate all the name widths, take the widest one, and
change the margins and indents accordingly.

--
Thanks
David