Re: programming error: cannot align on self: empty element

From: Mark Polesky
Subject: Re: programming error: cannot align on self: empty element
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 14:47:38 -0700 (PDT)

Nick Payne wrote:
> I have several scores that, the last time I worked on them
> (using 2.13.20), built without error. Now, with 2.13.32, I
> get
>
> programming error: cannot align on self: empty element
>
> appearing in the console log when I build the scores.
> Nothing to indicate where the error is happening. The
> error appears twice for every score where it happens.

Nick,

I notice this happens sometimes when I recklessly mess
around the extents.  Not that the following code is
recommended practice in any way, but it is way to trigger
the error message:

\relative c' {
  \override DynamicText #'Y-extent = #'(1 . 0)
  c1\p
}

But there are likely other causes too.  You can always
comment out large sections until the message goes away, and
narrow down the source that way, but that can get confusing
if you have variables affecting multiple parts of the code.

- Mark