Re: Chords with unequal durations

From: Neil Puttock
Subject: Re: Chords with unequal durations
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 16:48:13 +0100

On 13 September 2010 16:05, Carl Sorensen <address@hidden> wrote:

> I don't believe it's a bug.  The command says to merge differently headed
> notes.  Merging a half note and a quarter note should result in a filled in
> note; it's the union of both notes.

That's an illegal merge, since it obscures the duration of the minim.

I believe this is a bug, but only of the documentation kind.  Setting
'ignore-collision doesn't mean `Remove the annoying message so my
score compiles cleanly'; it switches off automatic collision
resolution between note columns.  In Nick's example, setting
'ignore-collision allows the noteheads to be stuck on top of each
other with no regard for the individual durations: hence the quaver
obscures the minim.  This means the merge commands are irrelevant,
since the merging code never gets called.

Cheers,
Neil