lyrics insists on starting on second note, not the first note of the pie

From: Chip Wiegand
Subject: lyrics insists on starting on second note, not the first note of the piece
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2010 09:26:25 -0700

I am working on a lead sheet - lyrics, notes, chordnames - but the lyrics insist
on starting on the second note of the piece. I have done 4 other lead sheets
like this, using the same template, and they all work fine. The only difference I can see is this piece has the lyrics starting on the first note which is also
on the first count of the measure, the other 3 pieces all had the first word
starting on the first note but not on the first beat, rather on beat 2.
I am sure this is something obvious to a more experienced lily user, and
probably a pretty simple error, but I am not seeing it.

Oh, one more question - are A9 and A add9 both the same chord on the guitar?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide,
Chip W

Below is the code:

% LilyPond
\include "english.ly"
\version "2.12.3"
\header{
    title = "Do You Believe in Destiny"
    composer = "Music and Lyrics by Chip Wiegand"
}

global = {
  #(override-auto-beam-setting '(end 1 8 * *) 1 4 'Staff)
  #(override-auto-beam-setting '(end 1 8 * *) 2 4 'Staff)
  #(override-auto-beam-setting '(end 1 8 * *) 3 4 'Staff)
  \override MultiMeasureRest #'expand-limit = 1
  \set Score.skipBars = ##t
}

tagline = \markup {
      \simple #(strftime "%b %d, %Y" (localtime (current-time)))
       \with-url #"http://lilypond.org/web/";
      { Engraved with LilyPond \simple #(lilypond-version)
(http://lilypond.org/) Copyright 2010 Chip Wiegand}
}

\paper {
top-margin = 1.00\cm
page-top-space = 1.00\cm
ragged-bottom = ##t
left-margin = 25\mm
line-width = 170\mm
}

staffMelody =
  \relative c' {
    \clef treble
    \key e \major
    \time 4/4
    e4 r2 \times 2/3 {g8 a g}
    a8 e~ e4 r2
    e4 e r g16 a a g
    e4 r r2
    e4 e r \times 2/3 {g8 a g}
    a8 e e4 r2
    e'2. \times 2/3 {e8 d b}
    b4 b2 r4
  }

theChords = \chordmode { e4 g4:6 a4:9 g4:6
             e4 g4:6 a4:9 g4:6
             e4 g4:6 a4:9 g4:6
             e4 g4:6 a4:9 g4:6

             e4 g4:6 a4:9 g4:6
             e4 g4:6 a4:9 g4:6
             e4 g4:6 a4:9 g4:6
             e4 g4:6 a4:9 g4:6

             }

verseI = \lyricmode {
  \set stanza = #"1."
  You al -- ways sur --
  prise me.
  Plus you nev -- er let me
  be.
  I feel quite o -- bli --
  ga -- ted.
  You al -- ways sur -- prise me!
  }

verseII = \lyricmode {
  \set stanza = #"2."

}

\score {
<<
    \context ChordNames { \theChords }
    \new Staff { \global
      \context Voice = "voiceMelody" { \staffMelody }
    }
    \new Lyrics = "lyricsI" { \global
      \lyricsto "voiceMelody" \verseI
    }