Re: best practices

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: best practices
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 21:36:21 +0200

"Phil Holmes" <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm generally normally quite helpful (or try to be).  It was just that
> Graham had given you all the information you needed - you just needed
> to read it and spend a little while wondering what LM could stand for.

It is agreed-upon best practice _not_ to use those abbreviations on the
general user list.

Because it is disingenuous to play guessing games with unsuspecting
beginning users.

Personally, I consider it also a turnoff on the developer list, but at
least on this list, we agreed on not using unexplained abbreviations.

It was likely an oversight in Graham's initial posting (he probably,
judging from the replies, is not even aware that "LM" is not
self-explanatory on _this_ list, or that he used it here), but then
everybody and his dog jumps in barking at the newcomer who did not
understand Graham's absolutely cryptic remark (imagine not being into
lilypond-devel slang and try reading any sense into it), giving him the
full "unpaid volunteers, scurvy dog" treatment.

Get real.

--
David Kastrup