Lyrics scope problem

From: Michael Färber
Subject: Lyrics scope problem
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 19:42:24 +0000 (UTC)

Hi all,

I've recently experimented with the organisation of my Lilypond file, and I've
encountered something strange while doing that. Consider the following code
extract:

\score{
  \new Voice = "melodyVoice" \melodyNotes
  \new Lyrics \lyricsto melodyVoice \lyrics
  % I had to remove the double forward and backward 'arrows' to post the message
}

Here everything works, I can see my melody with lyrics attached to it.

At that point I tried to move the lyrics association from the score construct
to a Staff context with the following code:

melodyStaff = \new Staff {
  \new Voice = "melodyVoice" \melodyNotes
  \new Lyrics \lyricsto "melodyVoice" \lyrics   % <- here comes the error
}

\score{ % again, arrows removed to post
  \melodyStaff
}

Lilypond complains about not finding "melodyVoice" in the indicated line.

Why doesn't Lilypond find a voice when it was declared in a Staff context
rather than in a Score context? Where can I find information about such
behaviour? (I've worked through the Lilypond manual and NR for hours now and
haven't found anything - it's just that huge! ;)

Thanks for your help!