Re: duplicate dynamics on same staff

From: Vicente Solsona
Subject: Re: duplicate dynamics on same staff
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 00:00:07 +0200

On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 22:19:05 +0200, James Wilkinson <address@hidden> wrote:
\version 2.13.31

When I put two voices on the same staff that have identical markings
for dynamics and tempo, Lilypond prints them both, one above the
other.
[...]
Back to my original question: if Lilypond can see that one of these
things needs to be moved, how hard  would it be to have it determine
that they are identical and just not print one of them?

if the dynamics are the same, it's better to write them just once. thus you:

1) save typing
2) help lilypond so it does't need to waste time guessing obvious things and it can concentrate on the big stuff :)

you just need to create a third voice with spacers and all the common marks, in parallel with the other two:

----------------8<-------------------------------

\version "2.12.3"   % should also work on 2.13

<<
  \relative c'' {
    a b c d
  } \\