Re: Optimising output for screen.

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Optimising output for screen.
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 16:59:35 +0100

Phil Burfitt wrote Friday, September 24, 2010 3:49 PM

Trevor, I've downloaded a number of PDF viewers for Windows and taken screen snapshots at 96dpi on Vista of each at 100% scaling (PNG attachment). Problems occur in all of them as to be expected as Lilyponds output is optimised for printer and will have a resolution of probably at least 300dpi. The most common problem seen in these viewers is the rendering of staves that when scaled down do not fall exactly on a pixel. Adobe doesn't seem to anti-alias raster images, but it's font rendering is a lot sharper.
Evince does the best overall job IMO.

Thanks, Phil, that's an interesting set of images. I must have chosen a fortuitous example when I found perfect rendering at 96 px/in and 100%
resolution in Adobe, as this clearly is a counter-example.

Adobe does anti-alias lines (if preferences is set to do so), but not (it seems) if they are either vertical or horizontal. Personally I don't line the anti-aliased staff lines and stems in Evince, preferring the
cleaner lines in Adobe and Nuance, but each to his own.

Trevor