Re: First impressions of alpha test

From: Joe Neeman
Subject: Re: First impressions of alpha test
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 10:41:24 -0700

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 11:41 PM, Keith E OHara <address@hidden> wrote:
What are everyone's first impressions of 2.13.34, the alpha test?

I remembered to run convert-ly (which worked for me, but I don't have MacOS 10.4, where James W ran into trouble) but it made very few changes to scores written for 2.12.

The change that jumped out at me was the spacing, both of notes and staves.

Where 2.12 was too timid in trying to fit staves on a page, 2.13 sometimes tries to fit too many.  I had some "between-system-spacing/padding" assignments in the paper blocks, put there to encourage tighter spacing from 2.12. The docs indicate that the vertical spacing variables have changed their structure (I'll have to see if convert-ly flagged them for me) so I removed them, and was much happier with the output.

The horizontal spacing now quite aggressively tucks notes under/over the accidentals of the following notes.
Do you consider this desirable? There are a couple bug reports about related things (eg. 1229)

Cheers,
Joe