Re: Line spacing inconsistency

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Line spacing inconsistency
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2010 17:22:33 +0100

"Neil Puttock" <address@hidden> wrote in message news:address@hidden
On 22 September 2010 16:27, Phil Holmes <address@hidden> wrote:
Originally posted to .devel in error:

Is it a known feature that using the font sizing commands \teeny, \huge,
etc., leads to inconsistent line spacing when compared with using fontsize?

Yes.  It's implied in the markup command documentation, though it
could be more explicit.

The named sizing commands set absolute font-size (and nothing else),
whereas \fontsize adds an increment to the current font-size, scaling
baseline-skip to match.

It might make sense to redefine the named commands in terms of
\abs-fontsize, since that'll ensure baseline-skip is changed while
retaining the absolute font-size.

Cheers,
Neil

That makes sense to me. I can't see why anyone would ever want to change the font size of text without changing the line spacing to match - and if anyone _did_ wish to do a counter-intuitive thing, they could use the baseline-skip method themselves.

--
Phil Holmes
Bug Squad