orchestral template, please comment

From: Keith E OHara
Subject: orchestral template, please comment
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 17:57:30 -0700

Dear orchestral writers,
  I don't use LilyPond for orchestral scores very often, which means that I
need to refer to the template in Appendix 5.1 of the Learning Manual.

  There is one bug with the template, and five other changes that I suggest to
help it meet the goals set in its introduction.  Would those of you who set
orchestral scores please comment on these?

  In one or two weeks I plan to put those changes on which there is consensus
into the LSR, and ask for approval to incorporate the revised snipped into the
docs.
-Keith

1) Remove the outermost \GrandStaff{}
According to the Internals Reference, GrandStaff does not accept any of the
StaffGroup/RhythmicStaff/ChoirStaff contexts that were placed inside it.  A new
Staff (which _is_ accepted in GrandStaff) inserted into the current template
will appear at the very top of the printed score, regardless of where it lay in
the input.

2) Change the key signature to something other than C.
Make visible that the french horn part was written without a key signature.

3) Enter notes as written on the instrument parts, as opposed to concert pitch.
The introductory text says that one can, so show how.

4) Revise the introductory text (the block comment at the front of the attached
.ly).h
a) Say 'in concert pitch' rather than 'in C'
b) Point out how we use \transpose as a tool for our convenience
c) State that \transposition gives information to LilyPond

5) Add \midi{}.
Make it easy to experiment with \transposition, and show that a default midi
output is produced, even without \set midiInstrument.

6) Remove Oboe Bassoon HornII and Trombone parts.
Reduce clutter, without removing any pedagogical value.