Re: orchestral template, please comment

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: orchestral template, please comment
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 13:00:37 +0200

Am Mittwoch, 29. September 2010, um 05:14:54 schrieb Keith E OHara:
> On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 18:54:23 -0700, Mark Polesky <address@hidden>
wrote:
> > Have you looked at Reinhold's OrchestralLily package?
>
> The documentation, yes, but I have not used the package.
>
> I was a bit curious to compare the plain .ly score that Reinhold's package
> would create to the template in A.5.1.  However, his package does not seem
> to generate an intermediate text file; it seems to go from the
> OrchestraLily input file directly to scheme objects.

Exactly. Using an intermediate file is an absolute pain (and one of the main
reasons why I'm not using lilypond-book, but plain latex with a Makefile
generating the lilypond files).

The score structure (code-wise) is actually pretty similar to what you would
write in plain LilyPond. However, since OrchestralLily checks for the
existence of many [score-id][instrument]variablename variables (for music,
key, clef, instrument name, midi name, additional settings, transposition,
lyrics, etc., this can only be done in scheme, as the exact score code depends
on whether any of these variables is set on each run.

Cheers,
Reinhold

 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886