anybody understand the instrumentCueName docs?

From: Keith E OHara
Subject: anybody understand the instrumentCueName docs?
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2010 23:18:38 -0700

Hello,
   I cannot find a way to use the documentation examples for cueDuring with
instrumentCueName in a real score.
I'm thinking of writing up and submitting replacement examples, based on a
snippet from the LSR.  First I'd like to see if I just missed the point of the
existing examples.

1) The third example in "Formatting cue notes" seems to try to create a Voice
inside a CueVoice:
   \new CueVoice \with {
     instrumentCueName = "ob."
   } \new Voice {
     \cueDuring #"oboe" #UP { R1 }
     g4. b8 d2
   }
First, the Internals Ref says CueVoice is not supposed to enclose other Contexts
Second, I cannot figure out how to extend this to longer music with more parts.
 For example, I tried to let a third voice quote a longer sequence of music
containing the segment above (attached CueName.ly) and cannot see a way to
structure the changing voices to allow quoting from anywhere in the sequence.

2) Later, in "Opera and Stage Musicals" the example in "Musical Cues" does
something similar, but without the \new Voices :
  pianoRH = {
    c''4 g'
    \set CueVoice.instrumentCueName = "Flute"
    \cueDuring "flute" #UP { g' bes' }
  }
Probably we should not be setting a property in a CueVoice before creating a
CueVoice.
If I quote the piano (another attached .ly) lilypond 2.12.3 crashes in
lily-library.scm, while 2.13.35 survives, but fails to quote the piano notes.
The next manual section defines a function \cueWhile, that uses the same
method, making it a bit more convenient to produce the same crash.

I think the solution is found in LSR snippet "Adding instrument name and clef change
to cue notes":
Set the instrumentCueName property in the Voice context, not CueVoice.

This seems completely sensible and has worked perfectly for me so far, but is
found nowhere in the manuals.  I'll make revised manual examples, as time
allows, unless somebody can explain how the existing ones are supposed to work
in real life.

Given that CueVoices are created behind-the scenes, I think that we users have
no business touching them.
--
Keith