Re: Header separation from markup or music

From: Mark Polesky
Subject: Re: Header separation from markup or music
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2010 08:22:58 -0700 (PDT)

Jiri Zurek wrote:
> I cannot figure out how to increase the space (the
> separation) between the header of the page and anything
> else on the page, which can be either lines of markup or
> music. The head-separation settings in the paper block
> does not seem to work: regardless of any value which I put
> there (even very large) the setting seems to be ignored
> and the space is always very small. Is there another
> setting, property, command or anything where I can set the
> amount of white space between the header and the rest of
> the page?

The behavior and syntax of the spacing code is currently
under revision and is being actively discussed by the
developers.  This is probably the worst time to try to learn
the unstable version, since things in this area of the code
may change from day to day.  The absolute latest
documentation for the unstable version (written 2 days ago,
and by no means finalized) is available here:
http://kainhofer.com/~lilypond/Documentation/notation/page-formatting.html

...but don't say I didn't warn you when things change again!

I'd recommend one of two approaches:
1) use the stable version with its documented syntax, or
2) use the latest unstable version (now 2.13.36) and follow
   the latest discussion in the lilypond-devel list

There are several threads going there; here's the latest:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2010-10/msg00075.html

- Mark