Re: OT Tzur Ma'oz

From: Christopher Meredith
Subject: Re: OT Tzur Ma'oz
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2010 13:16:57 -0500

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 6:49 PM, dadadharma @dslextreme.com
<address@hidden> wrote:
> This is Off Topic, but I don't know where else to turn...
>
> I'm looking for a basic, out-of-copyright four-part harmony version of
> Tzur Ma'oz that I can transcript in Lilypond for my singing group
> (Shape Note).
>
> I could not find any on the "Sheet Music Wiki"
>
> <http://imslp.org/wiki/Main_Page>
>
> Also, we had a discussion at Barbershop Chorus last night about our
> Christmas song list. Not a "Holiday Song list" -- only Christian songs
> were there.
>
> That's a big problem in West Los Angeles.
>
> Barbershop -- we wanna sing the barbershop cord maybe 30% of the song
> (by duration; we tend to hold it out), maybe 60% of the song.
>
> Does anybody know about a crash-course (simple guidelines) for goyish
> song leaders who need to arrange Hannukah songs? What are the
> harmonies & choirly effects that need to be achieved?
>
> Any thoughtful essays on what "interfaith" means -- not in terms of
> highly-trained, virtuoso choirs, but grass-roots community singing?
>
> Virtuosos can pull off any stunt, of course.
>
> But at the grass-roots -- not just a different musical species or
> genre or family or tribe...
>
> Maybe as different as invertebrates from vertebrates?
>
> David Olson
> Culver City, California

This is out of my area of expertise but I asked an associate of mine.
Here's his response:

I think it depends on the song. While much Jewish music tends toward
modes and minor keys, a lot doesn't. The quintessential Hanukkah song,
Ma'oz Tzur, is major all the way. It could pass--except for the Hebrew
lyrics--for a Christian hymn. There's a link to the score here:
http://www.chazzanut.com/chanukah.html
and that site has some other useful-looking info about Hanukkah music.

The Chabadniks have a site with lots of holiday music:
http://www.chabad.org/multimedia/media_cdo/aid/218974/jewish/Chanukah-Songs.htm

Hope this helps!