Re: lyrics first word starts on second note of piece

From: Vicente Solsona
Subject: Re: lyrics first word starts on second note of piece
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2010 22:20:31 +0200

On Wed, 06 Oct 2010 21:06:39 +0200, Chip Wiegand <address@hidden> wrote:
I am having an issue with getting a lyric to align the first word to the first note of the piece. I have even commented out all the lyrics except the first two words of the two stanzas, but only the first word of each stanza appears and it is under the second note of the piece. I have included the code for the song below.
Regards,
Chip W

Chip, please read this before posting code examples:

http://lilypond.org/tiny-examples.html

I think your problem comes from applying \global to the \lyrics context. It looks like the autobeaming settings in \global are interfering with the lyrics.

this tiny example works as expected:

\version "2.12.3"

global = {
  #(override-auto-beam-setting '(end * * * *) 1 4 'Staff)
  #(override-auto-beam-setting '(end * * * *) 2 4 'Staff)
  #(override-auto-beam-setting '(end * * * *) 3 4 'Staff)
}

staffMelody = \relative c'' {
                \global % OK, it sets your desired autobeaming
                g8 g g a16 b
        }

        theChords = \chordmode { g2 }

verseI = \lyricmode {
  \set stanza = #"1. "
  Are you just my im
}

\score {
        <<
            \context ChordNames { \theChords }
            \new Staff {
              \context Voice = "voiceMelody" { \staffMelody }
            }
            \new Lyrics = "lyricsI" {
% \global <------- DOESN'T SEEM A GOOD IDEA. LYRICS CAN'T BE "BEAMED"
              \lyricsto "voiceMelody" \verseI