Re: chord with notes of different duration

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: chord with notes of different duration
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2010 09:52:28 +0200

Marc Mouries <address@hidden> writes:

>  On 10/6/2010 3:44 PM, Carl Sorensen wrote:
>> Learning Manual section 4.1.4.
> thanks for pointing me in the right direction. However the page you
> pointed me to was not helpful as it dealt only with color tweaks but
> then i googled "tweak duration" and then found the page:
> http://www.kainhofer.com/~lilypond/ajax/Documentation/notation/the-tweak-command.nl.html
> which contained the following snippet:
> < c \tweak #'color #red d g \tweak #'duration-log #1 a > 4
>
> <g d' b'  \tweak #'duration-log #1 g'>4 s4}
>

> It is really not clear:
> 1) why the property is called duration-log and not just duration?
> 2) why the duration parameter must be #1 while the duration is a half note?
> 3) why a skip is needed whereas the top note is a half note (otherwise
> the measure is not complete)?

1&2 are the same question.  You specify the binary log (actually its
negative) of the duration rather than the duration as a fraction.

The answer to 3 and other is that Lilypond is incapable of forming the
right chord.  You could try using simultaneous notes (stack the three in
<< >>) but it's rather likely that the stems will not be combined
properly and/or you'll get a note column collision warning.

This solution would have the advantage of producing correct Midi.  What
you do instead is using whiteout in order to change the notehead without
Lilypond knowing what you do.

--
David Kastrup