Re: starting music with an acciaccatura

From: James Worlton
Subject: Re: starting music with an acciaccatura
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2010 11:54:25 -0500

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 11:17 AM, Orm Finnendahl <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi all,

 starting a score with an \acciaccatura gives unintended results in
the following example on my machine:

\version "2.13.23"

\score {
 \new PianoStaff { <<
   \new Staff  { \clef G \acciaccatura { c'16[ c'16] } c'16-> r8. }
   \new Staff  { \clef bass c4 }
 >> }
 \layout {}
}

As the acciaccatura seems to be "before" the first beat, the \clef
command for the bottom staff is processed *after* the acciaccatura,
resulting in the bottom system being initialized with a G clef.

The following workaround works here, but that I find that rather
awkward:

\version "2.13.23"

\score {
 \new PianoStaff { <<
   \new Staff  { \clef G \acciaccatura { c'16[ c'16] } c'16-> r8. }
   \new Staff  { \clef bass \grace { s16 s16 } c4 }
 >> }
 \layout {}
}

Are there any better (cleaner) ways to do it?

Not as far as I know. Your solution coincides with the "Known issues and warnings" section of the manual's description of grace notes.

James Worlton