Text aligned on dynamic

From: Xavier Scheuer
Subject: Text aligned on dynamic
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2010 11:37:26 +0200

Hi Valentin,
Dear LilyPond users,

I'm sorry I'm reviving some few-week-old topics that interested me but
I was not able to take effectively part of the discussion when it was
intensely occuring.

This message ensue from Valentin's "Absolute dynamics as postfix text"
patch and following discussion.
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2010-09/msg00148.html

Of course, I'm really happy to see proposals for custom dynamic
indications (i.e. mix of dynamic and text, like "mp dolce") as
_postfix_ command.  There is currently no easy way to handle such quite
frequent situations ("p subito", "ff appassionato", "p espr.", ...).
I was really frustrated by this fact, I complained (as usually) about
it and I have been given a solution, thanks to Valentin and Graham's
"make-dynamic-extra" function.
That said, I appreciate to see people trying to set up a more
convenient (and user-friendly) way to do that.

Valentin's proposal is fine, as far as I can understand it.
However I would have thought at another proposal :
why not make it possible to align normal markups (i.e. TextScript) on
dynamic, using some kind of property?
Something like

  \override TextScript #'align-on-dynamic = ##t

If ##t markups would align on dynamic if present, if false the behavior
would stay like it is now (positioned separately).
That would also make us avoid creating a lot of "custom dynamics", but
instead use "simple markups" (+ override a property).

I spoke about this idea in a message on lilypond-user some months ago.
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2010-04/msg00435.html

Thanks for your attention.

Cheers,
Xavier