Re: duplicate dynamics on same staff

From: James Wilkinson
Subject: Re: duplicate dynamics on same staff
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 17:58:18 -0400

So I finally separated the dynamics from the notes, and it works!!!!! But I had a couple of problems:

1) Whenever both instruments have a rest, Lilypond stacks them vertically. James Bailey sent me a link to a snippet that fixes that. (How did he know that was going to be my next problem?) My question is, "Why is that a snippet? Given that merging the rests is the standard way to engrave them under those circumstances, could Lilypond not just do it and make me have to find a different snippet if that's not what I want? Or at just provide the merge-rests-on-positioning function and mention it in the docs?"

2) In another measure the upper voice has a quarter rest followed by a half note on the bottom line of the staff. The lower voice has a dotted half rest. The problem here is that the half note in the upper voice is so low on the staff that it prints over the rest in the lower voice. These voices share a staff in the score, but not in the individual parts. I know I can fix this using tags, but that's labo(u)r intensive in the general case, and I wonder if there's a better way. I don't even know what the engraving convention is for this circumstance. I could suppress the lower voice entirely and let the stem direction identify the note as upper voice. Or should I move the rest down below the staff so it doesn't collide with the notehead? Either way, I want to do this only when trumpetII and trumpetIII share a staff, i.e. in a score.

thanks

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Jimmy Wilkinson            | Professor Emeritus of Computer Science
address@hidden          | The College of Charleston
(843) 953-8160             | Charleston      SC        29424
http://www.cs.cofc.edu/~jimmy

If there is one word to describe me, that word would have to be "profectionist".
Any form of incompitence is an athema to me.
Metathesis??? Don't ax me.
Just between you and I, the grammar used by Americans are getting worse.
I can only help but wonder what the cause of this might be.
It just ceases to amaze me how it could be the case, but mostly I could care less.
...... boat storage under house with wench ......
I won't get into specifics because that was between he and I