Re: job-count

From: James Bailey
Subject: Re: job-count
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 17:47:26 +0200

On Oct 13, 2010, at 2:58 AM, Valentin Villenave wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 6:13 PM, James Bailey
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I'm not so good with the advanced options, can anyone help with how I use
>> the job-count option?
>
> Hi James,
>
> I think it's mostly used when building the docs. The only case where
> it might help you would be if you have lots of different LilyPond
> scores to compile, or when using lilypond-book with a large number of
> LilyPond snippets to compile. But in any other usage, job-count will
> not help you since LilyPond is a single-threaded application. I'm not
> even sure that job-count would work if you have a single .ly file with
> multiple \book blocks (in fact, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't).
>
> If you are trying to build the docs, have a look at
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/contributor-big-page#saving-time-with-cpu_005fcount

I was actually doing it to build the snippets in the regression tests, I wanted
to build all of them with 10 different processes simultaneously. I didn't time
it, but I think it came out much faster.

And, I still cannot build the documentation. I can build lilypond, but not the
documentation. I've just given up on that one.