Re: Ottava repeats

From: James
Subject: Re: Ottava repeats
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 17:54:25 +0100

Hello

On 13/10/2010 14:11, Hans Aberg wrote:
Suppose a repeat might/should be played one octave higher, is there a
way to notate it without expanding it?

The French composer (?) Yann Tiersen does this quite a lot with his music and he just places the ottava bracket all along the whole repeated section but writes it in the lower range first. He doesn't even bother as far as I can see in the limited scores I have seen, to tell the player to play it 'normal' first and then 'an octave higher' the next time round. It is assumed I suppose.

James