Re: job-count

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: job-count
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 18:02:15 +0100

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 05:47:26PM +0200, James Bailey wrote:

> I was actually doing it to build the snippets in the regression tests, I
> wanted to build all of them with 10 different processes simultaneously. I
> didn't time it, but I think it came out much faster.
>
> And, I still cannot build the documentation. I can build
> lilypond, but not the documentation. I've just given up on that
> one.

If you're using lilybuntu, then there shouldn't be any problems
building the docs -- what did you try, and what error(s) did you
see?

If you're not using lilybuntu, then building the docs is a
relatively difficult process on Linux and OSX, requiring
familiarity with package managers (on osx: fink and/or macports,
quite possibly both).  It's certainly beyond the capabilities of
our average contributor with less than 6 months of experience.

(before any linux people complain that building the docs is easy
-- my "our average contributor with less than 6 months of
experience" estimate is derived from evidence from our mailing
lists, based on the types of operating systems our new
contributors use, their technical abilities, and the amount of
time it takes until they stop using lilybuntu)

Cheers,
- Graham