Re: help with moving dynamic marks needed

From: Xavier Scheuer
Subject: Re: help with moving dynamic marks needed
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 07:21:24 +0200

2010/10/18 Janek Warchoł <address@hidden>:

> Hi,
> below is a piece of a well-known chorus :) Unfortunately, high bass notes
> with accents and forte mark, combined with tenor lyrics, add up to
> incredible between-staff-space, and in effect unacceptable system height...
> I've tried doing some things described here, but i don't understand them
> well enough and it didn't work like i wanted :(
> What is the most elegant solution for moving the dynamic marks in such a way
> that LilyPond could calculate vertical system spacing with knowledge that
> dynamics are moved?
> In short, how to achieve what is in attachment with minimal fuss?
> Sorry for such a basic question, but i'm tired by spending over an hour
> trying to understand all these overrides & co...

Hi!

You are right, the doc NR 4.6.2 Changing spacing is inaccurate.
This has been reported a few days ago and has already been corrected in
the dev version of the doc (2.13), thanks to Vicente Solsona.

On 20 September 2010 19:12, Vicente Solsona <address@hidden> wrote:
> hello,
>
> the example in the third entry of NR "4.6.2 Changing spacing" is inaccurate
> afaik:
>
> ---------8<---------------------
>
> e4 c g\f c
> \override DynamicText #'extra-offset = #'( -2.2 . 2.0)
> e4 c g\f c
>
> ---------8<---------------------
>
> #'extra-offset does *not* affect vertical nor horizontal spacing, so it
> does not save vertical space. we have to disable the collision first so
> the dynamics don't take vertical space and then move it for aesthetical
> purposes, so the valid example should be (after a native english revision):

> my suggestion for the example is then:

> e4 c g\f c
> e4 c g-\tweak #'X-offset #-2.7 -\tweak #'Y-offset #2.5 \f c

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-lilypond/2010-09/msg00309.html

Xavier

--
Xavier Scheuer <address@hidden>