Parallel dynamics, markup, sponsor, etc.

From: Cordilow
Subject: Parallel dynamics, markup, sponsor, etc.
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 23:46:16 -0700 (PDT)

In most music I see out there, I've noticed that related dynamics (and often
markup) are usually parallel (such that if you drew a horizontal line, it
would meet both at the same vertical position). In fact, I'm hard pressed to
think of a situation where they're not in the sheet music I've seen
published in books and such. I was wondering if there was some system in
LilyPond where one could add a tag to certain dynamics to make them
parallel: e.g.

a'\p?var1 c' d' b'\mf?var1 f'\markup{asdf}?var1 d''2\<?var2 e''4\!
c''\>?var2 b'\!

var1 and var2 are the variable names that tie the vertical distances of the
dynamics from the note stems together so that they're parallel. Anyway, it's
just pseudo code. I don't know if question marks actually do anything in
LilyPond, but here I have it so it just ties the variable to the dynamic.

Does this make sense? I'm sure there are workarounds to get the same effect,
but I imagine they might be rather inconvenient at times (though I could be
wrong).

If there's currently not anything like this in place, I'd like to suggest
it. I'd pay some toward sponsoring it (probably about $20–30 is my limit
right now). Does anyone else like this idea and/or wish to sponsor it (if it
doesn't already exist)?

Anyway, this could do a lot for the aesthetics of the music.